Our bread maker is currently on the fritz, so while at the grocery the other night, I picked up some bread. And dag nab if the bakery fresh wheat bread wasn't on sale! $0.99 a loaf! So I bought two, and that was after I already picked up a loaf from the bread aisle. So here I am with 3 loaves of bread. So I figure, sandwiches it is!
We have every bread spread known to man: jellies, marmalades, preserves, peanut butter, apple butter, Nutella, etc... So as you can imagine, we've been having tons of peanut butter and 'fill in the blank'.
But yesterday, I decided to make the boys some grilled cheese. Hubby was home for lunch so I decided to kick things up a notch on our sandwiches. And that's when it hit me! You can make a grilled cheese sandwich so many ways! Yesterday ours were graced by some sliced olives and portabella mushrooms. Here are a few other yummy additions to try:
- black olives and tuna
- a slice of tomato and onion
- spinach and feta cheese
- a few slices of deli meat
- shredded zucchini, carrot, squash
- chopped bell pepper
And don't forget to get wild with your cheese, too! We gave up buying those prepackaged "cheese product" slices a while back and have been having fun with all kinds of higher quality cheeses since!
- crumble up some feta
- use some mozzarella with a slice of tomato and a few pieces of pepperoni or mushroom for a pizza themed sandwich
- mix and match whatever cheese you have for a new flavor
- Havarti is a favorite around here