So here is my "quick" routine to get the house ready for a showing.
- First off, get the machines working for you. Fill the dishwasher and throw a load into the washing machine. This way, while you move on to other areas the dishes and laundry will be getting done as well.
- Organize your mess. Do a quick run through of the house taking all the dirty dishes to the sink and all the dirty clothes to the laundry room and throw all loose toys toward the toy room/kids bedroom. I also have a few plastic bags around for quick trash disposal.
- Once everything has been given a quick once over, work on one room at a time. I usually start with the kitchen and then move on to the bedrooms and finally baths.
- Once everything is put away and wiped down, I vacuum and mop. Except I don't mop. A quick wipe with a wet rag works just as good in a hurry.
Speaking of hurry, here are a few of my cheating-at-cleaning tips:
- Hide it! Dirty dishes can go in the oven or fridge. Dirty laundry can go in pretty hampers or in the washer and dryer or even under the bed.
- Instead of mopping, use a wet rag to wipe up smudges and spills. Use your blow dryer to blow all that yucky hair on the bathroom floor under the rug.
- Don't know where to put it? Stash random papers and other odds and ends in a drawer to sort out later. Or you can throw them all in a little box or basket and toss it in an empty cabinet.
- Only the top blanket has to look nice! People looking at your house don't care if your sheets have hospital corners. Just make sure your bedspread is smooth.
- Take it with you! When I am doing a quick clean I never waste time folding laundry. I just load it into the car when I leave and fold it while I am out. The kids play at the park and I fold laundry in the car or at a picnic table until the showing is over.
Hope these tips help, even if your house isn't on the market. For more tips check out Shannon's.